what i did on my summer "vacation" (in chronological order):
- for the second year in a row, had a photograph make it into the carrboro arts center community photography competition and exhibit. yay!
- went to nyc with my dad. took lots of pictures. saw several completely awesome contemporary art and photography exhibits at the metropolitan museum. visited the mecca of low-fi pop photography, the lomography store. caressed the cameras.
- shot showcase performances during wxpn's non-comm convention at the world cafe live in philadelphia. was introduced to the astounding awesomeness of black joe lewis and the honeybears. hung out with my sister.
- went to see the english beat play. yay! photographed 'em. forgot to post the pictures. doh.
- assembled a photographic series and self-published it. (will post the link soon)
- was in one of two groups raleigh had participating in world photo walk day. shot film. still haven't scanned it in.
- shot two nights of bands at the sold-out merge records 20th anniversary festival in chapel hill.
- helped a friend organize and hang his first solo photography show in a highly desirable local venue.
- visited my third cousin twice removed and his family in pennsylvania coal country. got the skinny on some family history. laughed a lot. scouted future photo locations.
- helped my sister celebrate her birthday. saw tori amos at world cafe live. photographed her. lived a jonathan richman song by being a straight person dancing in a lesbian bar. made cookies and watched the rest of "dexter" season 2.
- learned about giclee printing for photographs.
- designed earrings and a necklace for my step-father to give my mom for their anniversary.
i also donated platelets twice (i get to watch a movie, people on chemo or with immuno-issues get some of my blood's clotting agent. win-win.). and read like a fiend:
"nightwatch" - sergei lukyanenko
"jonathan strange and mr. norrell" - susanna clarke
"monster" - a. lee martinez
"caught in the light" - robert goddard
"the dante club" - matthew pearl (re-read)
"the alienist" - caleb carr (re-read)
"the historian" - elizabeth kostova (re-read)
"spook country" - william gibson
reading is awesome.